Thursday, February 16, 2012

Conversation Station: An Anytime Oral Language Activity

 I am always looking for new centers and activities that my students can use any time they need extra work.  Recently, I tweaked an idea from my reading series and made a "conversation station".  The center is meant for two students to complete together to build oral language skills.  

The container is an empty wipes canister that I covered with fancy duct tape. Inside, I made 50 laminated conversation cards with questions from Gregory Stock's The Kid's Book of Questions.  Each question is meant to require more than a one word answer and generally requires some critical thinking, (ie "what would you do if everyone in your family forgot your birthday?").




When completing the center, students should take turns asking and answering the questions.  It is not meant to be completed in one sitting, but students can work together as long as they want (provided that all of their other work is finished).  The beuaty of this center is that it can be repeated multiple times and still be a new experience every time the child has a new partner. I have been using it for two weeks now and it is a big hit because kids always love the chance to talk in class.

This idea could be easily adapted to become a creative writing station.

4 comments:

  1. Really love this idea! I have a lot of students who struggle to really build on each others comment and keep conversations going. I think this will be a great tool to use! Thank you!

    http://hangingoutwithmissb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Great idea! Would you mind sharing the questions you used?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see the questions you used, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. Where did you get your questions?

    ReplyDelete